Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

right leg cramps while at rest assocated with meniscus tea

right leg cramps while at rest assocated with meniscus tear.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 2 years ago.

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there? If so, NOW is the time to chime in so we can chat.

Coachrobmd :

I assume the meniscus tear was diagnosed by MRI? If so, it's definitely there.

Coachrobmd :

This may or may not require surgery for repair. There are a variety of surgical options available, including possibly microfracture procedure. THat is best left to the orthopedic surgeon.

Coachrobmd :

But here's what happens. Whenever a joint is unstable or injured, the surrounding muscles tighten up to stabilize it. This is about the ONLY thing the body has at its disposal to correct the issues.

Coachrobmd :

The classic example is back spasms when you injure the lower back. The paraspinal muscles clamp down like a vice so that the bones don't move and irritate the nerve that is being squashed.

Coachrobmd :

Same with the knee. So, your muscles start to spasm after a while. That happened to me when i played soccer and twisted my knee. The pain was more from the muscles than the knee, and I found it intolerable

Coachrobmd :

The advice i can give you is for a prescription for a muscle relaxant like flexeril or soma. These are proven remedies for muscle spasm.

Coachrobmd :

Non-medical remedies include warm baths, heating pads (DANGEROUS to burn the skin, so NEVER fall asleep with one on your body), Ben-gay as often as you like, or capsaicin cream.

Coachrobmd :

If it is the WHOLE leg, then you may have a mineral deficiency. This would include

Coachrobmd :

calcium

Coachrobmd :

magnesium,

Coachrobmd :

sodium

Coachrobmd :

potassium

Coachrobmd :

All can easily be measured and replaced by mouth if needed.

Coachrobmd :

If this is restless leg syndrome (RLS), which occurs at rest and during sleep, that's a whole other issue.

Coachrobmd :

Have a look at this informative website after we're done (I am not permitted due to copyright laws to copy anything from any website and paste it here for your convenience):

Coachrobmd :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001810/

Coachrobmd :

That's the down and dirty approach to this common problem. Follow this advice and you should be back on your yacht in no time (or sailboat if that's all you can afford!).

Coachrobmd :

If you like my answer, PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may receive payment for assisting you today. It would be most appreciated. BONUSES are also welcome!

Coachrobmd :

POSITIVE feedback is FREE for you to leave about our session today. It is very important for me to get feedback so I can help customers the best way possible. This is VERY different than an office setting where I can see if you're satisfied with our discussion. Please consider taking one minute to fill this out. Thank you.

Coachrobmd :

To get me to assist you with medical issues in the future, you need to type FOR COACHROBMD ONLY in the SUBJECT line. That way other experts won't answer it unless I'm away for a day or two. (You can bookmark me in your browser favorites at http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-coachrobmd/)

Coachrobmd :

If you have ANY questions about what I wrote, please write back for clarification. I'm happy to continue working with you toward a resolution.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could not read entire answer was taken off screen to soon.
Here it is again. Hope this helps!
\================

Coachrobmd : I assume the meniscus tear was diagnosed by MRI? If so, it's definitely there.
Coachrobmd : This may or may not require surgery for repair. There are a variety of surgical options available, including possibly microfracture procedure. THat is best left to the orthopedic surgeon.
Coachrobmd : But here's what happens. Whenever a joint is unstable or injured, the surrounding muscles tighten up to stabilize it. This is about the ONLY thing the body has at its disposal to correct the issues.
Coachrobmd : The classic example is back spasms when you injure the lower back. The paraspinal muscles clamp down like a vice so that the bones don't move and irritate the nerve that is being squashed.
Coachrobmd : Same with the knee. So, your muscles start to spasm after a while. That happened to me when i played soccer and twisted my knee. The pain was more from the muscles than the knee, and I found it intolerable
Coachrobmd : The advice i can give you is for a prescription for a muscle relaxant like flexeril or soma. These are proven remedies for muscle spasm.
Coachrobmd : Non-medical remedies include warm baths, heating pads (DANGEROUS to burn the skin, so NEVER fall asleep with one on your body), Ben-gay as often as you like, or capsaicin cream.
Coachrobmd : If it is the WHOLE leg, then you may have a mineral deficiency. This would include
Coachrobmd : calcium
Coachrobmd : magnesium,
Coachrobmd : sodium
Coachrobmd : potassium
Coachrobmd : All can easily be measured and replaced by mouth if needed.
Coachrobmd : If this is restless leg syndrome (RLS), which occurs at rest and during sleep, that's a whole other issue.
Coachrobmd : Have a look at this informative website after we're done (I am not permitted due to copyright laws to copy anything from any website and paste it here for your convenience):
Coachrobmd : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001810/
Coachrobmd : That's the down and dirty approach to this common problem. Follow this advice and you should be back on your yacht in no time (or sailboat if that's all you can afford!).

Coachrobmd : If you like my answer, PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may receive payment for assisting you today. It would be most appreciated. BONUSES are also welcome!
Coachrobmd : POSITIVE feedback is FREE for you to leave about our session today. It is very important for me to get feedback so I can help customers the best way possible. This is VERY different than an office setting where I can see if you're satisfied with our discussion. Please consider taking one minute to fill this out. Thank you.
Coachrobmd : To get me to assist you with medical issues in the future, you need to type FOR COACHROBMD ONLY in the SUBJECT line. That way other experts won't answer it unless I'm away for a day or two. (You can bookmark me in your browser favorites at http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-coachrobmd/)
Coachrobmd : If you have ANY questions about what I wrote, please write back for clarification. I'm happy to continue working with you toward a resolution.
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience: •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
If you have any follow-up questions about the issue we recently discussed on JustAnswer.com, or any NEW items that may have come up as a result of my recommendations, please return to our original thread (see link below) and add a new post at the end. I'll get an email notifying me that you want more assistance. It's best to have the first line of your next post state "FOR COACHROBMD ONLY" so other experts won't become involved. If I don't hear back from you, hopefully everything turned out well. If you recall, your question related to right leg cramps.

Go here to post your response (click REPLY), and I'll get an email notifying me you want to hear back from me: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/6r9be-right-leg-cramps-rest-assocated-meniscus-tea.html