How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11030
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

May have swallowed a toothpick; what should I do next?

Resolved Question:

May have swallowed a toothpick; what should I do next?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
As long as you're feeling well, it's probably not necessary to do anything. However, a toothpick can cause perforation and other problems with the intestines. In case you develop abdominal pain or are just feeling bad, see your doctor immediately. A gastroscopy (scope looking into the stomach) can help detect and remove a toothpick if necessary. Since there is a good chance that the toothpick was never swallowed, I think a wait and see approach is best. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S. and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Related Medical Questions