Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have a lump on lower right ribs (mostly on the rib cage)and

Customer Question

I have a lump on lower right ribs (mostly on the rib cage)and it seams like it goes as far as here the rib ends and on the bottom aspect of the rib. It do not appear it in the the abdomen area but it hurt when i push on the ribs.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today. How long has this bump been present? Does it hurt? Does it move under the skin? Does the overlying skin look normal?

Customer :

it has benn there for about 5 months, it does not hurt when i move it but when i put my palm and push it hurts

RickMD :

How large is it?

Customer :

inch wide and about 1- 1.5 inch long

RickMD :

And, just so I understand, it is under the skin, overlying the ribs, you can move it around without pain, the skin looks normal over it and it has been there for a while, a year or more, without any large changes?

RickMD :

Do I have it right so far?

Customer :

5 months

RickMD :

Oh ya, and your doctor has examined it and doesn't seen concerned and is refusing to do any other workup....right. OK. 5 months;

Customer :

yes, when i depress the rib cage it hurt

RickMD :

Ok. Got it. You know, in the USA a doctor would be happy to image this for you.....Medicine sure is different in Canada :(

RickMD :

Well, I don't think that this bump is anything to worry about from what you have told me. As a surgeon, it sounds like you have a lipoma which is a benign (non cancerous) mass that is made of fatty (adipose) tissue. They are very common and can occur anywhere on your body.

RickMD :

Here is a good webpage on this topic:

RickMD :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lipoma/ds00634

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

RickMD :

No treatment or further imaging is necessary and you should be OK

RickMD :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so why do it pain when i depress the ribs where the lump is??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
dr was offline
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 2 years ago.
hi
Have you tried having an ultrasound of this mass or xray?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have requested but my doctor it felt like a muscle
Well, a bump is not caused by muscle, unless there is something like a cyst or mass in the muscle.
You really need to have an ultrasound at the very least to see what this is. A chest xray may be helpful to rule out a bony cause for this, but an ultrasound would be most helpful at this point. If it is something that is concerning, they can biopsy it.
Usually these are fatty tumors, but usually they do not cause pain, so this could be a cyst (sac filled with fluid) that may need to be drained...
I would go to another doctor- it seems like the one you have is not listening to you and your needs- you deserve someone who does.. .

warm regards

Press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if this was helpful
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the pain only happends when i push in on my ribs with the heal of my hand
I understand, because you are compressing whatever is underneath your hand. If it is a mass or cyst, it squishes the underlying tissue...

you need that ultrasound, really there is no other answer to this question, I am afraid..

warm regards