Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I recently started suffering from thick viscous mucus in my

I recently started suffering from thick viscous mucus in my throat. It is particularly troubling after I am exposed to raw onions, tomato products, coffee or alcohol. I do not suffer from heartburn as most acid-reflux patients do, but I have lost 10 to 15 pounds in weight. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reg (72 year old)
Oak Hills, Calif
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. Since how long exactly you have this? What is color of mucus? Do you have anything like throat clearing, nasal obstruction, sneezing, nasal discharge etc? Any chest xrays done? Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The condition has been on-going for about 4 or 5 months.

My mucus is clear.

The mucus seems to be coming from below not draining from my nasal passages.

My doctor did send me for x-rays and I was told that I have hiatal hernia.

I seem to have residual mucus in my throat at all times. No nasal obstruction or discharge and little sneezing.

Thanks for your input. I would like to tell you that I am myself an Ear, Nose & Throat specialist and has lots of experience in dealing with the issues like you are having. Usually we consider three possible causes when someone presents with the symptoms like yours; Chronic Sinus infections, GERD (acid Reflux) or chest infections. Its not necessary to have all sinus symptoms and someone just mucus in throat can be the cause. Secondly if the xray was clear then chest problems are not likely. In your case since you have a hiatal hernia also, the cause of your mucus is more like to be GERD and here i would like to mention that in GERD, at many occasions there are no symptoms other than than mucus in throat. So both possibilities are equally valid in your case i.e GERD and chronic sinus infections. If its GERD then this means that omeprazole has not worked for you and you need to get this further examined by a gastroenterologist ideally and should have a upper GI endoscopy done. You may need a change in medication for the control of GERD. Along with that you should see an ENT to get yourself examined and investigated by a sinus CT scan which can show mucus build up in your sinuses. The mucus you get should be sent for culture and sensitivity and if there is an associated infection in it, you can be given antibiotics and you can get rid of this. I usually suggest my patients to use OTC tab Claritin once daily and steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily for this and they get relief. I am hopeful that my suggestions will work for you and i wish you good luck for that. If you have any questions, i am here to help you. Please spare sometime to send a positive feedback. Regards.