DrKnowsBest, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician with extra cert in peds and womens health

Can pain be imagined or intensified with stress/anxiety? I

Can pain be imagined or intensified with stress/anxiety? I have ben having shooting pains in my calf and thigh for over 5 months. It is not swollen or red, and it is not real tender. I have been told by many doctors it is a muscle strain and it needs physio therapy. I am scared it is a dvt and I had a doppler ultrasound and it was negative.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 4 years ago.

DrKnowsBest : The Doppler is very sensitive so a negative result rules out DVt. Stress definitely increase pain due to elevation of the stress hormones.
DrKnowsBest : The best test to rule out nerve involvement since it is shooting pain and nerves to the calf come through at the hip and thigh is an EMG. You may want to try the pt but and emg rules out nerve pain.