Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

A recent CT scan shows an abnormal soft tissue mass in my cecum.

Customer Question

A recent CT scan shows an abnormal soft tissue mass in my cecum. I have had symptoms of stomach pain, gas, and some constipation. What can you tell me about the likely causes of this. I will be making an appointment for a colonoscopy ASAP.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 2 years ago.

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis. If this is an emergency, stop now and please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there? If so, NOW is the time to chime in so we can chat.

Coachrobmd :

Cecal masses are where the appendix joins the small and large intestine together. It is the farthest end of the colon, which is the absolute limit of colonoscopy to see.

Coachrobmd :

So, they may NOT be able to see the entire cecum with this procedure.

Customer:

Yes. here. I plan to get a colonoscopy. What should I be concerned about?

Coachrobmd :

causes include infection, ascess, appendix enlarged, retroperitoneal masses, and of course tumors.

Coachrobmd :

That's why the scope is doing done asap.

Coachrobmd :

as soon as possible.

Coachrobmd :

Should you be scared? I can't say.

Coachrobmd :

But being scared is certainly not going to change the otucome of the test.

Customer:

Is colon cancer common in the secum?

Coachrobmd :

So, better to exercise and take relaxing walks until it is defined.,

Coachrobmd :

Atr age 69, yes, cancer of the colon and cecum is more common than age 50.

Coachrobmd :

I can NOT give you a stat on how MANY cecal masses are cancerous, however.

Coachrobmd :

But I'd guesstimate 10% maybe.

Customer:

Thank you. I think that is all I need to know at this time.

Coachrobmd :

The rest are just associated with the appendix, or outpouchings called diverticli that are infalmed.

Coachrobmd :

Any other questions I can answer for you today?

Coachrobmd :

If not, If you found this information useful, please rate my answer – I hope you found it to be Excellent! This is how I get compensated for assisting you with your medical issue today. BONUSES are also welcome!

Coachrobmd :

POSITIVE feedback is FREE for you to leave about our session today. It is very important for me to get feedback so I can help customers the best way possible. This is VERY different than an office setting where I can see if you're satisfied with our discussion. Please consider taking one minute to fill this out. Thank you.

Coachrobmd :

If you have ANY questions about what I wrote, please write back for clarification. I'm happy to continue working with you toward a resolution.

Customer:

Thank you.

Coachrobmd :

Thanks for coming to JustAnswer.com today. If you ever want me again for other medical issues, please type FOR COACHROBMD ONLY in the subject line. Have a great day.

Coachrobmd :

Clicking ACCEPT would be most appreciated. It is how I can afford to stay on JA.com and help others in need (for many this is their ONLY way to get medical advice due to no insurance or other problems).

Coachrobmd :

Anything else?

Coachrobmd :

Are you stuck in the IM Chat room? If so, I can help you get out.

Coachrobmd :

Hello?

Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience: •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
What happened with the colonoscopy for the cecal mass? I'm here to answer follow-up questions.

Go here to post your response (click REPLY), and I'll get an email notifying me you want to hear back from me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/6qhsm-recent-ct-scan-shows-abnormal-soft-tissue-mass-cecum.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up interest. My colonoscopy revealed a carcinoid tumor in the cecum. As you know, carcinoid tumors are usually slow growing and relatively non-invasive. I had laparoscopic surgery on June 22 to remove the tumor and appendix. Pathology from the surgery shows some matastisis to just one lymph node, but not to the liver or elsewhere. I will see an oncologist within two weeks to determine if follow-up treatment is necessary. If so, I assume it will be in the form of radiation, but I really don't know. Perhaps you have an opinion as to what I might expect. Altogether I feel fortunate that I had symptoms of abdominal pain that led to the discovery of the tumor (unusual). It seems we found it time to avoid significant matastisis. I believe I will be a long term survivor. Thank you for your interest and your informed opinion, given the limited information I was able to provide to you.
Carcinoid is slow growing, and can be treated.

Here is an excellent review article on this topic

CARCINOID <----- Click here please!

That the liver is clear, the most common site of spread from the cecum, is good news.

Oncologists deal with this, and the advice of YOURS should be discussed in a consultation. I personally have never treated metastasis of a carcinoid, but that article does provide more guidance than most.

Hope this helps!

=============
Selecting from the RIGHTMOST 2 faces/stars is how I receive compensation for all the years of training that went into assisting you today. It would be most appreciated. Bonuses are also welcome.