Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

I have severe pain in lower left back which sometimes moves

I have severe pain in lower left back which sometimes moves to side and left groin area. Slight help to lay on back for some time.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How long are you having this pain and how severe is it in 1 to 10 scale? Do you have fever, nausea, urinary frequency/discharge? Any difference in pain during activities/bending? Do you also get shooting pain doing to your legs? Any muscular weakness, numbness in lower limb?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have had a CAT scan of the area and just got information that they found nothing. Pain beagan about 10 days ago. I did lift something heavy 2 weeks ago and that may be the cause but pain did not begin until several days later. Pain goes from 5 to an 8 with stabbing pain every few seconds. No fever, urinary or bowel changes. Pain does not increase or decrease with any particular movement but have been doing very little that might potentially increase pain. When it began I thought it was sciatica. Have had that and it was similiar at first but is does not stop and sometime seems to move to top far left side of left hip and even somewhat toward the groin. Does not go into the leg. No weakness or numbness.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, you have lower backache which is radiating to your side/groin. Since it started after a heavy lifting, musculoskeletal and spine related causes are likely. It is good to know that test repost came back normal, that means no disk problem. There are many other potential causes of lower backache such as arthritis, kidney problem, sacroiliac joint dysfunction, pinched nerve, trauma, muscle pull etc. Good thing is that most people with arthritis, musculoskeletal or minor issues manage their symptoms with conservative measures such as rest, ice/heating pad, mild stretching exercise, physiotherapy, and pain meds. OTC meds are generally good for these purpose, but stronger pain meds can be prescribed in a situation when regular pain meds are not helpful. In your case, you are already on stronger pain meds so just continue with it. Almost 80-90% patients benefit by there measures, however, in those who do not respond to these treatment other option can be considered depending upon the cause. It is also important to note that, lower backache can be also due to nerve compression/irritation, in that case also these conservative measures are helpful. For nerve related pain meds like lyrica, neurontin can be also considered for better pain control. Depending upon the cause, many treatment options are available, you can read more about it from this link:

Since you have history of sciatica, nerve related issue is possible, but it is also important to rule out other potential cause such as sacroiliac joint dysfunction which can present like this. i don't think that it is a kidney related problem because you don't have any urinary symptoms. You can visit an ortho doctor for proper evaluation and management.

Please let me know if you have any other question.