Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

What is causing my ankles to swell? They are more swollen

What is causing my ankles to swell? They are more swollen in the evening, but in the more the swelling has gone down.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer!

Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have swelling in both side? Is there any pain, redness, or difficulty in walking? Are you feeling tired or have pain right upper abdomen? Do you stand or sit for prolonged period? What is the name of the medication that you are taking for high BP?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Both sides swell, every once in a while the right side of my right ankle aches, there is no redness and I do not have difficulty walking. There are times when I do feel tired.

I do not stand or sit for long periods of time. The medication I take is Hydrochlorothiazide Tabs, 25 mg.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Possible causes and prevention.

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Based on your information, you seem to have bilateral ankle swelling without any other associated symptoms. Bilateral ankle swelling is suggestive of systemic cause, rather than localized causes. Getting ankle swelling in both side requires further investigation. Presence of rashes, skin color change, increased local temperature or difficulty in walking may suggest the possibility of infection, blood clots or other local problems, but I don't think you have any of these features to support it. Generally bilateral swellings are related to cardiovascular problems, liver or kidney disease. Sometimes, prolonged standing may cause bilateral swellings. I would encourage you to visit your doctor to get blood test, blood biochemistry along with physical exam. This will rule out if any systematic problem exist. In the mean time, you can follow conservative measures at home like taking breaks between the works, elevating legs, using pillow support for legs. There is a likely possibility that your swelling may be related to high BP because it is a cardiovascular problem and may affect your heart leading to ankle swelling, but at least get it evaluated once to rule out other problems.

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this something I should get done immediately, or can I wait a few weeks as I am planning on traveling.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 2 years ago.
This is not a medical emergency, but you must do it ASAP so that an appropriate treatment can be directed to reduce the swelling.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.