Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

My throat feels tight under my jaw. It doesnt hurt to swallow

My throat feels tight under my jaw. It doesn't hurt to swallow but when I push hard on my throat close to where my lympnodes are, it feels like there is a hard small ball like substance near it. I have to push really hard to feel it but makes me a little nervous.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer!

Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Where exactly is this lump located? How long are you having this lump? Is it on both side? Do you have any other symptoms such as anorexia, wt. loss? any ongoing head an neck infection? Any other lump in neck/side? Can you move this lump?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is in the middle of my jawline and I have to put my finger on that spot and push up to feel it. No other symptoms, no other lumps and no head or neck infection. It is on my left side and from what I can tell it really doesn't move.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, you have a lump in your left jawline. This is the area for submandibular lymph node. In most cases, it becomes palpable in response to an infection in head and neck, pharynx, sinus, scalp etc. As soon as you overcome the infection, it will subside gradually. I don't see any other associated symptoms at this time, so most likely it is a benign condition, but a proper investigation can be done to make the final diagnosis. Some other potential cause would be cyst or tumor. Your doctor can do physical examination to make the final diagnosis. It is good to know that you are visiting ENT doctor tomorrow, in this way you can expect to rule out any other growth/tumor. This visit will certainly reduce your stress.
Please let me know if you have any other question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I visited my family physician and he said he thinks its an infection. I just don't like feeling a hard substance in my throat. Do you think chances are it is that. If you were to feel this would you be worried? It was never there before and it has been in that spot for a week now.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
I can understand your concern.
The location of the lump is very typical for lymph node, and it become palpable in response to infection in the nearby area. I think at this point there is no need to worry since infection is the primary suspect. Once week is not enough to subside this lymph node, it may take 4-5 weeks to subside completely. Just for your reassurance, you can visit your ENT doctor to get his/her opinion.