Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

for lithium tremor is vitamin b6 a safe/effective treatment? what

Customer Question

for lithium tremor is vitamin b6 a safe/effective treatment?

what about a lower dose, does that reduce tremor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How severe is your tremor? Is it affecting your daily activities? Did you develop tremor after taking lithium? How long have you been on lithium?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
intermittently hand shakes hard to hold objects like a glass etc tremor developed after taking lithium taking 300mg for about three months
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Hand tremor is a well known side effects of lithium treatment. This side effects can become prominent at anytime during the course of treatment. In general, more people report hand tremors during the early phase of treatment. For mild tremor that does not affect your daily activities may not require any specific treatment, but in your case, it seems like it is bothering you. it is also important to note that hand tremors can appear due to lithium toxicity, so it is important to rule out this possibility by doing blood test to check lithium level. If this is just side effects, then there are many treatment options; a commonly used medications are: propranolol, primidone etc. In a small study, Vit B6 was also found effective in reducing tremors. There are some other options that can used as well to control tremors such as use a single dose of lithium, use sustained released lithium, gradual dose changes, decrease lithium level while maintaining efficacy. You can talk to your doctor about it and choose a suitable option for your condition.

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your feedback. how frequently should blood level be checked. Also, is drinking eight glasses of water a say a good thing to keep a concentration from building up in the kidneys?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
In the beginning of the treatment, it can be done a few times to adjust the ideal dose that works for you. Once you are stabilized and your dose is stable, it can be repeated every 3 months or so. Drinking adequate water is always good for health. It becomes more important when you are on medication.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome!
Thank you for visiting justanswer.
Take care