Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

My husband injured his ankle, he is experiencing some swelling

My husband injured his ankle, he is experiencing some swelling (which has moved from his ankle, to his foot, to his big toe but never all at once), but also chills and night sweats. Could this all be related?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.
Is there any pain and redness? Does if feel warm to touch? Is the swelling getting worse?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There was pain and redness (and warm to the touch)for the first 3 days but it has mostly subsided now.
The swelling is not getting worse, however it is moving around the foot. It started at the ankle tendon then moved to the foot, then the big toe and is now mostly between the ball of the foot and the back of the heel.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, he presented with infection symptoms such as pain, redness, warm to touch. Although mild traumatic injury can be managed at home, but whenever there is suspicion about infection, prescription medication is required. Even though some of his symptoms have improved with conservative measures, but the onset of chills and night sweat is an another sign of infection. I don't think he has fully recovered yet. In this kind of situation, a proper evaluation by a physician is required so that an appropriate meds can be prescribed. This will also rule out joint related and systematic issues that may present like this. Since these symptoms started after trauma, infection is the prime suspect. In the meantime, continue with the conservative measures.

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This has been helpful. We have also noticed an elevating of his blood pressure from and average 130/80 and it now averaging 145/95. Does this information change anything? Also, can you tell us what type of medication would most likely be prescribed?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
If he is taking any OTC pain meds, then that can be a factor for change in his BP. At this time, he needs to monitor his BP, if it is persistently high then he will have to see his doctor. If it is medication related, then it will come back to base line after discontinuation. If there is infection, then he will need antibiotics. His doctor can suggest the need after clinical examination and blood test.