Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have a aching pain in my back left side just below my waist.

I have a aching pain in my back left side just below my waist. The pain continually aches but it is severely pronounced when I sneeze or cough.
Hello
OK
So as to location
Are you saying this is over the hip bone
Or more in the back...in the flank?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
More in my back
OK
Is this up in the hollow part just above the pelvic bone, or over the bone...lower
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is on the left side of my back just below my waist. Its hurting now really badly becuse I sneezed a minute ago.
Let's put it this way
If you press on it do you feel bone
And what happens?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it is not painful to the touch and I don't feel bone. If I take m hand and use my thumb abd index finger. You know like a superman pose. my thumb i just about over the spot w/ the pain.
OK
I would be concerned about kidney infection here.

Spinal problems are also possible...a disc that has ruptured specifically.

You need an exam and a urinalysis.

Kidney stone could also start this way if it is on the move.

So i would go get the exam now...urgent care or the ER.

Use reply if you need to clarify

Please don't forget to complete the answer process so I am credited for work and expertise. Even after we are done come back if you need to. Positive/excellent feedback the best! Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had two kidney stones about 4 or 5 years ago. They passed. However, the doctor said that there was a small piece showing up on the xray or mri which ever. But since it wasn't giving me trouble, he told me to ignore it - that it would probably pass. But there has been no blood in my urine which I can detect.

I have some lower back issues as well so I familiar w/ that feeling. This does not feel like a spine issude or disc issue. Do u believe that narrows it down to a kidney infection and should I go to the emergency room or can I wait until monday and go to see my doctor.

I would not wait.

If it is a kidney infection these can become life threatening if not treated.

Suggest the ER.

Use reply if you need to clarify

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no pain when urinating. Do u really think the ER is advisable.
Yes
Or urgent care.
At least a quick exam and urinalysis.
dt

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK Doc. Thanks
You are welcome.
Anytime
Any questions
dt
hope the back is ok

find me for any question and time

and to let me know how it goes