Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

For about a week my fecal matter has been sort of sticky and

For about a week my fecal matter has been sort of sticky and soft, but not diarrhea and it doesn't feel like I've completely emptiedIt just doesn,t feel right
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

How long the symptoms are there? Is there any other symptom?
How many times do you have to pass stool? Is there any blood with it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About one week, no other symptom other than not feeling finished, no blood noted and just today have gone about three times
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input,

You are probably having an inflammation or infection of the colon & rectum. Inflammation of rectum can cause the feeling of not emptying of the colon. There can be other causes like diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis, growth etc which can cause such symptoms. But when it is 1 week only, infection is more likely. I would advise to take an examination by doctor. Please try to take plenty of fluid & electrolytes like oral rehydration fluid, gatorade. Stool testing, antibiotics can be needed.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Before going to my family doctor, it this continues another day or so, what do you think about using an OTC probiotic product?

Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
You can use OTC probiotic, peptobismol. If the frequency is not too much for causing dehydration, you can wait a day. Take adequate fluid, bland diet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I feel your answer is a little lacking ( I don't mean to be insulting) What exactly do you mean by bland diet, like cut down on fresh fruit and fiber? You did not elaborate on the benefit of a probiotic or how is peptobismol beneficial to my stated problem?
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Bland diets include easily digested food with less spice, less oil etc. Boiled rice, potato, boiled fish, yogurt toast, light tea can be taken. Fresh fruit and fibers can make the stool more soft. It is better to avoid them now. Intestinal infection can occur due to imbalance in normal intestinal bacterial flora. In that case, probiotic can help in restore the normal flora. Peptobismol can slow down the growth of bacteria causing the infection.