Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hi, I think my husband broke his second toe (next to big toe)

I think my husband broke his second toe (next to big toe) yesterday when he was out running. He said he ran on something hard and uncomfortable (like a rock) but was able to keep running for a minute or two and then had a sharp pain comparable in strength to a bee sting and had to stop running. Today his toe is black and blue and there is bruising a couple of inches up on the foot. He plans to compete in a triathlon tomorrow which is why I'm writing. It's stupid and I'm wondering if it could jeopardize the healing process?
Thanks for your answer,
Concerned wife.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hello

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

Based on your description, it isl ikely he has fractured his second toe.

Mysticdoc :

Black and blue is due to the leakage of the blood from fracture site.

Mysticdoc :

It is not wise to run triathlon with broken toe as it can cause more damage.

Mysticdoc :

Also he needs to buddy tape the toe with adjacent toe for immobilization.

Mysticdoc :

ice can be applied to reduce the swelling.

Mysticdoc :

a foot xray should be done to confirm the fracture.

Mysticdoc :

walking boot can be used to relieve pain and pressure on the toe.

Mysticdoc :

The healing process is slow but will take place within 4 to 6 weeks.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Customer:
Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Customer:
Mysticdoc :

I cannot read your reply.

Customer:
Mysticdoc :

I think the chat window is not working.

Customer:

Hang on

Customer:

We're arguing

Mysticdoc :

ok now i can read.

Mysticdoc :

please post your reply now.

Customer:

He says he ran home after it was broken and wants to know exactly what type of damage can be done if he runs on it tomorrow

Mysticdoc :

there is a possibility of displacement of the bone fragments from running long distance.

Mysticdoc :

this may result in non healing of the fracture since blood supply often gets compromised.

Mysticdoc :

in that case, the toe may be lost also in extreme cases.

Customer:

Ok, that was extreme

Customer:

We're off to the hospital now

Mysticdoc :

best wishes,

Customer:

Thank you

Mysticdoc :

this should heal well with adequate rest as described above.

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT button and leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK, if you

do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my

time & effort. Thank you!

Please ask for Mysticdoc for your future questions.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD