Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

ra - mje

Customer Question

how long can intestanal flu last and what can i take for it the third day i have it
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Did you mean to say stomach flu(gastroenteritis)? What symptoms are you having now? Are you getting better gradually?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
diarrhea all the time i thought it was getting better today but it is still there
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
The way you are presenting looks like a case of acute gastroenteritis. Most of the time, these are caused by viruses so usually no antibiotics are needed and self recovery is expected within a week. Since it is not improving, there is a risk for dehydration which require proper water and electrolyte management. I see that you still have active symptoms with no sign of recovery, in that case it is also important to rule out other potential cases of acute diarrhea which may include bacteria or systematic disease. My personal recombination is to see your doctor for blood and stool test so that we can find the nature of problem and treat it appropriately. In the mean time you can take rest, liquid diet, soup and broths, and adequate water/electrolyte to maintain hydration. Avoid apple and pearl juice until you feel better. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Gradually add semisolid and low fiber food as your bowel movements returns to normal. You can read more about this problem and conservative measures from here:

Please let me know if you have any other question.