Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

How to heal a Ham string injury ?

Customer Question

How to heal a Ham string injury ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

When did you injure your hanstring? Do you see any swelling, lump, bruises? Any difficulty in walking or bending your knee?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Monday afternoon May 21st - no swelling - no lump or bruises - difficulty in walking - pain in Ham area - could bend my knee
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information. Based on your description, you seem to have grade 1 hamstring injury. This is the mildest form of injury and responds very well to the conservative measures. I see that you are already doing some of it. The RICE therapy is the best option at this time: Rest, ice, compression, and elevation. I also suggest you to go for physical therapy to regain the full strength. In the meantime, you can use crutches to minimize pressure in that area. It generally takes few weeks for full recovery in mild injury. You can read more about it from this link:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00408

Please let me know if you have any other question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I feel it is important to tell you that five years ago I had a total knee replacement and is there anything additional I should do other then what you have suggested?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for coming back to justanswer.
You have minimal symptoms that correspond to mild hamstring injury. This kind of injury has very good recovery. Thus, it is just a matter of time. You should be feeling much better after a week or so. Just continue with your conservative measures and expect to have full recovery even though you had knee replacement long back. If you develop severe pain, swelling, redness, and difficulty in walking/limping, in that case consider doctor visit.

Take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome!
Thank you for visiting justanswer.