Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

My husband has a very fould burp. It smells like feces but

Customer Question

My husband has a very fould burp. It smells like feces but worse and it doesn't smell like rotten eggs. He also has very foul smelling stool. I am a nurse and the closest thing that I cane think it smells like is necrotic bowel.. I do not have a weak stomach, but the smell is so bad it makes me queasy and he says it tastes horrible and he feels a pressure in his midsternal area and has to move around to burp. He has DM, CKD stage 3, HTN, HH, GERD, Hypothyroidism, and more. What are some possibe causes? Celiac disease, ischemic bowel, ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question. I am sorry to hear that and can understand your concerns. I would like to say that there are few important possibilities which can give such foul smelly burps like acid-peptic disease induced complications especially esophagitis (inflammation of food pipe), oral infection, intestinal bacterial overgrowth, malabsorption syndrome. I will suggest these tests such as hydrogen breath test, fecal fat analysis, stool culture. I will highly advise him to avoid alochol, avoid onions, garlic or ginger in diet, avoid also carbonated drinks. He should add probiotics in diet and evaluation by gastroenterologist is suggested. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.
Excellent feedback and bonuses will be appreciated.
Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed.