Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

what can cause hemorhoids to bleed excessively?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How much is he bleeding? Is there blood with every bowel movements? Is he passing hard stool?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes there is blood w/every bowel movement. i'm not sure about hard stools.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, he seems to have bleeding with every bowel movements and it is excessive. Since he has been diagnosed with hemorrhoids, it is very likely that bleeding is coming from hemorrhoids, but other causes of rectal bleeding is also possible such as diverticulitis, polyp, tumor etc. Excessive bleeding should not be ignored in a patient taking warfarin, this is important because he is on blood thinner and that might be a factor for excessive bleeding. Although many patients manage they mild hemorrhoids symptoms with conservative measurement and OTC meds, but in his case blood test is recommended to see if blood thinner is the reason for excessive bleeding. The physician visit will also rule out any other potential cause for rectal bleeding, in this way he will receive an appropriate management of rectal bleeding.
Please let me know if you have any other question.