Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

Hi...i bruised my shin by walking into a metal bar. I bruised

Hi...i bruised my shin by walking into a metal bar. I bruised it on Saturday but there is still a half-golfball size bruise on my shin. There is dull pain there, but no sharp pains when I walk, go up stairs etc so i really dont think there is anything broken or even fractured.

that said very concerned by the fact that I am now in day 4 and it is still pretty swollen. what should i do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Is there any pain when you touch the swelling? Does it feel hot to touch? Is the swelling increasing in size?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The swelling is tender to the yes there is some pain there. It is not hot...nor is it increasing in size.

It is very red, and given the fact that the area was also cut open (it is now scabbed over) may be infected?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
Thats is what I was thinking about. Since you have bright red painful swelling, there is a possibility that the area is infected. In that case, you need to see your doctor for wound care and prescription meds. Just for your information, hematoma (collection of blood) is commonly seen after trauma/ fall, but smaller un infected hematoma can be left as it is for self recovery, but once it is infected proper management is required. In your case, there was an open wound that puts you at the risk of infection, that might be the obvious reason for bright red painful swelling. All these symptoms will subside as you recover from infection. Since you are able to walk without any problem, I don't think that you have any fracture. Please let me know if you have any other question.