Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

My friend is 53 with asthma getting worse. no health Ins.He

My friend is 53 with asthma getting worse. no health Ins.He started smoking pot because he said it opens his lungs and can breathe better. But my thought is when it wears off his lungs would be worse. Is pot good or really bad !! He said he'll never go on oxygen. I care for him so very much. He'd have to keep smoking it all day !! Thats not good right ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How severe is his symptom? Is he having fever, breathing difficulties, productive cough? Is he on any medication?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
breathing difficulties and cough He has an inhaler but yesterday was really bad. He lives in Idaho and I'm in WA otherwise I'd take him to Dr myself.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information. I am sorry to hear about his symptoms. Based on your description, he seems to have breathing difficulties and cough. Moreover, his symptoms are getting worse, that means his health issues are not addressed properly. Although mild case of asthma can be managed, but in the case of acute exacerbation, proper treatment is needed to prevent complication. If he is experiencing persistent breathing difficulties and noticed change in sputum color, then added infection is likely that needs proper treatment. As far as smoking pot is concerned, certainly it is not the recommended as a treatment. The effect of pot on lungs are being discussed, at this point we can assure you that pot is better than cigarette in terms of its effects on lungs. I think more clinical trials are required to validate its beneficial effects on respiratory tract.
I also understand that he does not have insurance. In that case, I suggest him to visit a low cost/free clinic in his local area. You can see the link from here:
Please let me know if you have any other question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so I can tell him all you told me to get to Dr but till then...if pot it for now ?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
I think the key is to see a doctor for physical exam and prescription. As you know smoking pot is not a treatment, so it can not substitute a physician visit. However, as you know he has been using pot for a while, taking few more may not be a concern, but just make sure that he visit his doctor ASAP for prescription meds.