Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Have a dull aching pain in my lower right quadrant? Can it

Have a dull aching pain in my lower right quadrant? Can it be appendicitis, indigestion, or food poisoning
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Good morning...

How long have you had the pain?
Do you have any fever?
Urinary symptoms? (burning, difficulty urinating?)
Back pain?
Constipation or diarrhea?
Is the pain worse with movement?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have had it about 3 hours. No fever, no nausea. no urinary sympoms.Some dull pain in my side to back. I feel a litle constipated. No diarrhea. It doesn't worsen with movement
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst pain you could imagine, what would you rate the pain?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would rate it a five
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thank you...

I am sorry that you are not feeling well this morning.
Pain in the right lower quadrant in men can be due to a few different things.
Food poisoning, without diarrhea or nausea is unlikely.
Indigestion is also not likely to cause pain in that area--it will typically cause pain in the upper center or upper left abdomen.

Appendicitis is a definite possibility. It can present in many different ways---it may start with pain around the belly button that moves down to the right lower abdomen. It is often (but does not have to be) associated with a low grade fever, nausea and loss of appetite. Typically, the area is also tender if you push on it.

A hernia can also cause pain in the right lower abdomen.

A kidney stone is a third possibility. These will usually cause pain that radiates from the back down towards the groin, depending on where in the urinary tract it is located. The pain is generally rated higher than a five (usually 10/10).

Constipation can cause a dull ache as well.

I do suggest that you be evaluated. Because of the potential for appendicitis, I would be evaluated sooner rather than later, especially if the pain is getting progressively worse. I would also not eat anything until you are checked out, just in case you did need to have surgery. (clear liquids only).

I hope that you feel better soon,

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby