Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
17382760

Sharp knife like pain located upper abdomen approximately 1

Sharp knife like pain located upper abdomen approximately 1 1/2" below sternum and 2-3" above belly button. Have had 4 eposides today, and have Never had this before. Lasts approx. 2 to 3 seconds. Does not appear to be related to food/liquid/strain/heartburn. No shortness of breath at all. Approximately 1 1/2" in diameter. Comes w/out warning and is so quick & sharp it makes my body feels like a shock rans through it up to the top of my head. Pain does not radiate, stays w/in the dia.
No nausea w/it, no palpitations (although I am on a 30 day holitor monitor for excessive palpitations & irregular/regular rapid heart beat. 2 days w/no major episodes. Had a CT scan done 5/1/2012 for pain I've been having for several months located directly under & below right rib area and lower right side. Not the same type of pain at all. CT found (taking off of interpretations sheet)..abdominal aorta is mildly prominent without evidence of discrete aneurysn. Scattered atherosclerotic calcifications seen throughout abdominal aorta. Unsure what this means. Says, vena cava is normal in size I contour, and nodes normal. Small volume of free fluid in lower pelvis w/cystic structures on left ovary. Some focus of atelectasis & scarring again seen on right lung base (?).
That's their wording from scan...My question is concerning the pain first described. Haven't had within the last 3 hours. Thank you ever so much.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Dear Jacustomer ,

I am sorry to know about your symptoms ,

I will recommend that you see your doctor for a physical exam , do discuss about getting a esophageal manometry as underlying diffuse esophageal spams which has no relation with food can present with similar chest pain as you described .

I will also recommend that you discuss with your doctor about prinzmetal angina as that may present with chest pain due to coronary artery spasm . The doctor can do a ergonovine precitipation test to rule it out .

Endoscopy should also be done as underlying ulcer disease can present with similar pain at similar location . The doctor may also want to do h pylori serology test .
H pylori is gram negative bacteria common cause of ulcer disease , treated with antibiotics .
Other causes seems unlikely .

Thanks

Feel free to ask further questions if any.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have had endoscope winter of 2010 w/pylori test - both normal..Am not having any chest pain...just the stabbing pain I mentioned in stomach area about 1 to 2 inches below where the sternum ends. Endo showed no ulcers..have never had ulcer issues. This does not feel like anything related to chest area at all. I'm not sure what you mean by chest pain when it 's basically just the area I mentioned. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for further information ,

As ulcer has been ruled out , based on the location , I will recommend that you discuss with your doctor about biliary dyskinesia as underlying improper flow of bile from bile duct to duodenum can present with similar pain as you described . The doctor might have to do sphincter of oddi manometry test to confirm it and can later discuss treatment options (sphincter of oddi dilatation ) if confirmed .
Other causes have already been ruled out by your doctor .

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. My concerns was if this was a symptom of an aneursyn in my stomach or aorta area because of the results with the CT scan saying the abdominal aorts was mildly prominent in contour w/out evidence of discrete aneurysm. I haven't been able to see my physician yet and just received a copy of the written results. With this type of painhappening, I started to get a little afraid. Didn't want to run into ER with this because I just was totally unsure what to do. I will make an appointment w/my physician to go over my test results. You did not say anything about aneursym, so I'm trusting that it is not something that my symptoms would be relating to??

Will wait for your response to this last question about relating to stomach/aorta aneursym or not. Maybe I'm just a little uncomfortable because of the CT results and this is just nothing. Thanks again.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome ,

Your report says " CT found (taking off of interpretations sheet)..abdominal aorta is mildly prominent without evidence of discrete aneurysn " so as there is no evidence of aneurysm so it is not likely a cause of the pain .
If you have a small aortic abdominal aneurysm about 1.6 inches, or 4 centimeters (cm), in diameter or smaller and you have no symptoms, your doctor may suggest observation, rather than surgery. And you do not have a aneurysm so there is no need to press any panic button or else it would be seen on ct scan .
So your symptoms are not related to aortic pathology .

Thanks

Dr. B., Doctor
Experience: Physician with 8 years of experience.