Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

Pain in lower abdomen and shoulder. Could this be gas?

Hi, I have severe lower abdominal pain as well as right shoulder pain. Could this be gas, and does gas affect your shoulder? What causes gas?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

How long the symptoms are present? How frequently the pain is coming? Can you elaborate the precise site of pain( which side, right or left), any radiation to other place & if so, where? Is there any aggravating or relieving factor or any relation to food? How are stool & urine? Is there any area of tenderness? Are there other related symptoms? Was any test taken? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Today since 3 pm, the pain is by my lower abdomen and has gotten a bit better since taking anti-gas pills. Left shoulder pain is in one area, on my right shoulder. feels like a knot
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Is it on both sides of lower abdomen? Where is the knot? How large? Did both the shoulder & abdomen pain start together? How are stool & urine? Is there any point of tenderness?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both sides of abdomen, shoulder pain started after. My stool and urine are fine, I'm not constipated. My stomach is distended and hard so I'm assuming it's gas??
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

The pain in lower abdomen can come from a few causes. Appendicitis (if not operated already) needs to be ruled out. Urinary infection, or stone can cause pain here. Colitis or inflammation of intestines can cause it. Gas can form from inflammation. It can result from constipation too but your stool & urine are normal. Pain may be referred to right shoulder from gall bladder pain. But that is usually felt in upper abdomen. I would advise to take an examination by doctor when the abdomen is distended. Doctor can run tests like urine, blood analysis, ultrasound etc. if doctor feels necessary after clinical examination.