Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

Mi tongue has lots of groves, its like I have cuts all over,

Mi tongue has lots of groves, it's like I have cuts all over, I dont even know how to explain. This start happening few years ago and is getting worse and worse every month. My tongue feels really dry and i have a long line going from the midle down.My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm 40 years old.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question.
Is your tongue whitish?
Do you have associated pain?
Dry mouth?
Have you seen a doctor so far?
Are you taking any medications?
Any other medical history?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No pain, sometime dry mouth, I have seen a dentist and the answer was the my problem could be genetic, I'm not taking any medication, and I don't have medical problems and my tongue sometime can be whitish. The groves in my tongue are getting really deep.
Thanks for providing more information.
Well as you describe it suggests fissured tongue which is a benign condition characterized by deep grooves in the dorsum of the tongue. Although it is painless and causing no physical discomfort.
Fissured tongue often accompany geographic tongue.
Some causes of geographic tongue include eating any of a range of exacerbating/spicy foods, drinking alcohol, or during times of stress, illness, or hormonal surges.
One other possibility is that you have thrush, which is a white coating beginning to develop on your tongue. This is a fungal overgrowth that is caused by a depressed immune system or a severely dry mouth.
You should keep yourself hydrated with plenty of fluids.
Also your doctor may advise Nystatin oral suspension in case of oral thrush.
I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What can I do to change the look of my tongue if I do have fissured or geographic tongue. Is it possible to reverse the damage? Does tabaco make is worst? What kind of doctor should I see?
Fissured tongue is a harmless condition usually no treatment is necessary except to encourage good oral hygiene including brushing the top surface of the tongue to remove any food debris from the fissures.
However in case of geographic tongue, you should avoid spicy food,alcohol,tobacco products,toothpaste that contains tartar-control additives, heavy flavoring or whitening agents.
Also keep yourself hydrated with plenty of fluids.
You can also take Vitamin B supplement.
Your doctor may advise Antihistamine mouth rinses and zinc supplement.
I suggest you to consult a dentist for further evaluation and management.
I hope this helps.
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience: M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
Hi

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr Anil Kumar