Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have a cramping in neck left side and soreness I feel like

I have a cramping in neck left side and soreness I feel like it is coming from artery and I have a heaviness in left harm and my small and finger next to it on left side become numb and sometimes with pins and needles
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
This is more commonly due to a disc problem in the neck..the cervical spine.

It requires an MRI to see this.

This will confirm if there is nerve compression..
And x ray can not show this accurately.

The artery would not use this unless it cause a stroke.
The stroke might have some of the same symptoms but not the neck pain typically.

So what I would do is this
Have your doctor order an ultrasound of the neck arteries..it will show if they are clear.

See a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor for the neck..he/she can see if there really is nerve damage or not in the office with a conduction study..and give you the correct manual therapies to fix this and avoid possible surgery in the future.

Use reply to clarify

Please complete the answer process as prompted: Then come back as needed. Positive/excellent feedback the best! Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you explain this in lay mans terms I mean simplify it I don't full understand your answer
The disc in the neck degenerated.
This presses the nerve and causes your symptoms.

The MRI scan will show this.

The PM&R doctor will test you and fix it with physical therapies.

The ultrasound of the neck will show if you have narrowing of the arteries in the neck.

Use reply to clarify