Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

My stomach has been hurting for 4 days. The pain which is strong

My stomach has been hurting for 4 days. The pain which is strong is in the center, upper part of my stomach, just below my rib cage. I am eating very little. I have taken peptobismo, tums and 7-up drinks. I do not have diarrea, but my stool is very dark. I do not have an appendix or gall bladder.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer,
Hi.Post cholecystectomy pain of the upper abdomen may be caused by biliary and nonbiliary causes.These would include biliary causes like a retained stone,stricture,spasm of sphincter of Oddi,pain in the cystic duct remnant.NOn biliary causes would include gastritis/gastric ulcer due to bile acid induced reflux, chronic Pancreatitic disease,hepatocellular disorders,Inntercostal neuritis,Coronary Artery Disease causing angina/Ischaemia,Irritable bowel Syndrome and renal disorders of the right kidney.It would be prudent to consult your PCP/Doctor who can examine you and evaluate you .The investigations would be done based on the physical findings.Acid pepsin disease/Gastric ulcer would be helped by use of a PPI like Prilosec and Sucralfate,the treatment will be specific to the cause found .You may need a upper Gi endoscopy, a Upper abdominal ultrasound,a ECG or TMT test,a ERCP and other investigations required.The epigastric pain in your case is suggestive of gastritis /gastric ulcer problem.Your Doctor will guide you further.