Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

I have sharp pain in left side upper chest above breast, felt

I have sharp pain in left side upper chest above breast, felt front and backside, feels like a muscle pain. started late night about 10 pm has lasted throughout day it is now 2pm. Hurts when I move, feels better when laying down. Kind of thinking its a heartburn pain but have tried tums with no help. Any suggestions?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you feel pain when you touch in that area? Do you have any health issues or any other associated symptoms such as nausea, cough, fever, sweating, palpitation, or jaw/shoulder pain? Did you do any heavy work recently?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no other health issues. I did not do heavy work recently. I have soreness under my arm next to my breast. The only thing I did yesterday was take a combination of 2 diet pills which is why I thought it gave me heart burn. The pain is sharp at times when I move suddenly.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your description, you seem to have left sided chest pain without any other associated symptoms. Although problems in heart, lungs, and even musculoskeletal issues can present with this symptom, but generally heart and lungs related problems tends to have additional symptoms which is not present in your case. Moreover, you have fluctuation in pain intensity with body movements that also support musculoskeletal issues. Reflux esophagitis can also cause pain in central chest and they tend to respond to OTC antacid or prilosec. Considering your persistent chest pain for more than 16 hours, I don't think that you can ignore this symptom. Although my thinking is in the line of musculoskeletal pain/costochondritis, but still I strongly suggest you to visit ER for proper evaluation and EKG, as this is the standard of care to rule out cardiovascular cause of chest pain.

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information, One more questions, if you are saying musculoskeltel pain, would I be able to take motrin for the pain? If the pain persists until tomorrow morning I will go into the ER however I would like to try and wait it out.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Yes, musculoskeletal pain/costochondritis can be managed with OTC Motrin. However, ER visit is strongly recommended in acute chest pain cases to rule out cardiovascular problems.