Coachrobmd
Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience:  •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
66242556

I have stabbing pain in my lower left chest and side when I

Customer Question

I have stabbing pain in my lower left chest and side when I move certain ways, or tighten up my muscle. I have had issues with pancreatitus, impacted perforated colon, diabetes, etc.... i have also had kidney issues.... what can I do, or should do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Coachrobmd replied 2 years ago.

Coachrobmd :

Hi, I'm Doctor Robert, a Medical Internist (MD) who deals with diseases of all organ systems. All my education has been completed in the US.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there?

Coachrobmd :

Are you there? If so, NOW is the time to chime in so we can chat.

Coachrobmd :

If it happens when you move, then it is likely costochondritis.

Coachrobmd :

Have a look at this great website for more information about this issue than I can possibly type myself:

Coachrobmd :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

Coachrobmd :

This is due to rib pain, possibly due to separation of the cartilage from the rib bone.

Coachrobmd :

If it happens with OUT movement, that is more serious.

Coachrobmd :

Given your Diabetes Mellitus (DM) that is always a concern for early heart disease.

Coachrobmd :

1. Take over the counter (OTC) pain reliever

Coachrobmd :

2. Apply ice to the area to settle the pain down

Customer:

I am here

Coachrobmd :

3. Avoid twisting or lifting for as long a possible.

Coachrobmd :

Can we chat now? Yes or No.

Coachrobmd :

Are you there?

Coachrobmd :

Please stay with me so I can help you better. I need you to respond to my questions.

Customer:

yes

Coachrobmd :

Is it painful now? Yes or No?

Customer:

yes

Coachrobmd :

What are you doing right now that makes it hurt? Sitting down? Lying?

Customer:

there's pressure on my lower left side just below my ribs, when I move certain ways it becomes a stabbing pain.

Customer:

I am sitting

Coachrobmd :

Have you any short of breath (SOB) , sweats, or jaw/arm/neck pain, or PRESSURE in your chest?

Coachrobmd :

Yes or No? Please type just ONE of those words so you don't have to type so much.

Customer:

no, but when I move certain ways it takes my breath away

Coachrobmd :

Then this is either:

Coachrobmd :

1. costochondritis

Coachrobmd :

2. viral pneumonia

Coachrobmd :

3. pancreatitis with referred pain to the rib cage area.

Coachrobmd :

Please realize this: I am limited to the information that I glean from your posts, as I can't see, talk to, or touch you. I can only give you my approach to the evaluation of your symptoms if you were in my office. That puts me at a disadvantage compared to your doctor who actually sees your body right there in the office. This is just the nature of advising across the internet. A specific diagnosis under these conditions is VERY difficult.

Coachrobmd :

How long has this been going on? How many days?

Customer:

if I touch my side it hurts in certain places. two, three days

Coachrobmd :

Did you have any recent trauma to your ribcage, or have a violent sneezing attack or coughing spell? Yes or No? Please type just ONE of those words so you don't have to type so much.

Customer:

yes, coughing

Coachrobmd :

How long ago, and did it precede the pain starting?

Customer:

it may have, I am not sure, but it's gotten worse today.

Coachrobmd :

Here's my plan

Coachrobmd :

Coachrobmd :

Coachrobmd :

If you get short of breath (SOB) or chest pressure, off to the Emergency Room for an ekg.

Coachrobmd :

electrocardiogram (EKG).

Coachrobmd :

4. Read this site and go to the area on TREATMENTS AND DRUGS for more info

Coachrobmd :

information

Coachrobmd :

Coachrobmd :

5 call your primary care physician in the am, as he probably should do a Chest X Ray (CXR) to look for a possible rib fracture or viral pneumonia, both of which can cause tis pain.

Coachrobmd :

Does this make sense? Yes or No?

Coachrobmd :

Any doubts, then off to the Emergency Room because with diabetes, you never can be sure of anything.

Coachrobmd :

The views expressed here are for educational purposes only and do not establish a physician-patient relationship. It is NOT intended to replace your own physician's advice or diagnosis.

Coachrobmd :

Any other questions I can answer for you today?

Customer:

problem with going to er is I don't have insurance. yes it does and thank you... was worried it maybe be kidneys again or liver....

Coachrobmd :

Liver ison your right not left.

Coachrobmd :

And it doesn't do this type of pain.

Coachrobmd :

So, I dont believe it is your heart, but nobody can ever be positive without examining you and getting labs.

Coachrobmd :

Does this make sense?

Coachrobmd :

Yes or No?

Customer:

Thank You for that, didn't know..... Yes, Unfortunatley I lift and twist all day at work.....

Coachrobmd :

Well, there you go. It's rib pain.

Coachrobmd :

If you found this information useful, please rate my answer – I hope you found it to be Excellent! This is how I get compensated for assisting you with your medical issue today.

Coachrobmd :

Clicking ACCEPT would be most appreciated. It is how I can afford to stay on JA.com and help others in need (for many this is their ONLY way to get medical advice due to no insurance or other problems).

Coachrobmd :

If you have ANY questions about what I wrote, please write back for clarification. I'm happy to continue working with you toward a resolution.

Coachrobmd :

Anything else?

Coachrobmd :

Are you stuck in the IM Chat room? If so, I can help you get out.

Customer:

so what was that costochondritis?

Coachrobmd :

Read this site. It's rib pain.

Coachrobmd :

Coachrobmd :

It's common from twisting.

Customer:

thank you for your help, and time....

Coachrobmd :

If you like my answer, PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may receive payment for assisting you today. It would be most appreciated.

Coachrobmd, Internal Medicine MD
Experience: •Fmr. Dir. Hep. C Clinic. •Fmr. Dir. Head Trauma Rehab Ctr.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The pain is on my side, not inner chest, it is also lower left side just past my rib cage. therefore cartiledge in ribs doesn't seen to be the problem... am I wrong in this?
If it is on the OUTSIDE, just the skin, and it has been fewer than three days, then this likely shingles.

http://www.shinglesinfo.com/shinglesinfo/index.jsp

This starts as pain on just one half of the body in a narrow band of skin, called a dermatome,and in about 3 days it breaks out into vesicles. This is VERY painful and always starts as pain in the skin with NOTHING breaking out. The rash appears 3-5 days later, and then you need medication like valacyclovir.

The rash starts as vesicle with fluid in them.

That's what this sounds like with this additional information.

You should call the primary care physician and ask to be seen, because if I'm right, you'll need treatment in two days.

This is classic in that people say "Doc, my skin is burning like crazy, but I have no rash or anything" and I tell them, "Just wait three days, and tell me what you see". ANd like clockwork, they get the rash.

DM increases the risk of shingles due to altered immunity due to high sugars.

So, if correct, you'll have your answer in two days.

Have a look here for what it looks like, exactly where you're feeling your pain:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=shingles+rash&hl=en&biw=2036&bih=1145&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=vMPH_z70Obd9fM:&imgrefurl=http://www.howtocureshingles.com/ blog/pics-of-shingles-rash-and-blisters/&docid=XMtTqgfK2GHRyM&imgurl=http://www.howtocureshingles.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/pics-of-shingles-rash-1.jpg&w=400&h=320&ei=l314T9X7Lcrj0QHiwIG8DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=170&vpy=177&dur=423&hovh=108&hovw=134&tx=126&ty=81&sig=118254233898024926758&page=1&tbnh=108&tbnw=134&start=0&ndsp=78&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

POSITIVE feedback is FREE for you to leave about our session today. It is very important for me to get feedback so I can help customers the best way possible. This is VERY different than an office setting where I can see if you're satisfied with our discussion. Please consider taking one minute to fill this out. Thank you.

If you have any follow-up questions about the issue we recently discussed on JustAnswer.com, or any NEW items that may have come up as a result of my recommendations, please return to our original thread (see link below) and add a new post at the end. I'll get an email notifying me that you want more assistance. It's best to have the first line of your next post state "FOR COACHROBMD ONLY" so other experts won't become involved. If I don't hear back from you, hopefully everything turned out well. If you recall, your question related to rib pain on the left.

Go here to post your response (click REPLY), and I'll get an email notifying me you want to hear back from me: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/6oadc-stabbing-pain-lower-left-chest-side-when.html?L=T&r=ems|2012-05-16|15