Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

pain and swelling on left rib below my left breast! Doctors

pain and swelling on left rib below my left breast! Doctors dont know what it is. I just came from the ER the DR didnt believe me. I said it was swollen much worse than this!! He felt around talked to the nurse and she came in and was starting to do an EKG. I said I am swelling again and it is hurting please look she looked and imediatly yelled for the DR to come back and look at it swell up. He said does that hurt when I apply pressure and I answered no, I said it is tender and I do feel pressure but not from you, its from the swelling. He still doesnt know what it is. He gave me a steroid shot and 2 loratabs. I said DR I didnt come here for pain medicine, I said swelling like this is not normal and I am scared cause its too close to my heart and lungs! He said follow up with your Family DR and released me!! He also told me that right now there is nothing to worry about with my heart!! I asked was the EKG normal and he said pretty much! Please help me!!

Dr SS :

Greetings, How long the symptoms are there? Was any other test done besides EKG? Is there any significant past illness? Regards.

Dr SS :

Is the rib swollen still?

Dr SS :

Do you feel shortness of breath?

Dr SS :

Please reply.

Customer:

yes still swollen and have pain

Customer:

no shortness of breath

Dr SS :

How large is the swelling?

Dr SS :

Is it the rib or joint of the rib?

Customer:

i can cuff my left hand with it, and its on top of my rib below left breast.

Dr SS :

Did you have any X ray? or other test?

Dr SS :

How long the swelling is there?

Customer:

No not this morning i didnt, because he said it wouldnt show up. But I have had this for about 5 years now and was in the hospital when the swelling started. I just got done with an xray about 5 years ago, and i said something is wrong with my rib and the nurse jerked up my gown and looked, her and I watched as it swelled up, I had to come back that day after they released me for a follow up, and i one DR said I blew the cartlige off my rib, and its ok because his wife just done the same thing and sent me home.

\

Dr SS :

The swelling is unlikely to be related to heart or lungs.

Dr SS :

They are more internal organs.

Dr SS :

It is likely to come from ribs, its junction with cartilage.

Dr SS :

Skin or soft tissue swelling is also possible,

Customer:

So what can I do, I have a DRs appointment with my family DR this after noon what can I ask her to do to help get to the bottom of this so i can get some relief? Because this is scarey.???

Customer:

I also have a lung disease called Sarcoidosis. Can this be related?

Dr SS :

Your doctor can examine it again physically.

Dr SS :

He can advise to take an X ray or scan if he feels necessary.

Dr SS :

Sarcoidosis of lungs would not cause this swelling.

Customer:

Im still clueless :(

Dr SS :

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.

Customer:

I havent done anything to pull a muscle. This has been going on for around 5 years, and it seems the DR thinks I am making it up. They look at me like ok your here for pain meds. No I am not, I am scared!!

Customer:

I have had 3 different DRs examine me, but didnt go any further than just feeling it.

Dr SS :

Please do not get scared. If any serious condition like tumor or cancer were there, it would grow larger in 5 years & would cause other symptoms.

Dr SS :

You can ask your doctor for an X ray or scan, this can help to know the nature of the swelling.

Customer:

I have nodules on my lungs, and they have grown. The Family DR i did have said it was caused from the Sarcoidosis and said that I need more test done because I may have cancer! Well I didnt stand for that, and I stopped going to him. I have the lungs of a 67 year old and I am only 28.

Customer:
Dr SS :

Sarcoidosis can cause nodule in the lungs. But this swelling may not be related. Still if the doctor suspects he can take biopsy or tissue from it for testing.

Customer:

Ok Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX see what she says to me this afternoon when I see her. She will see the swelling it hasnt gone away for the past 2 days. Well it has but it goes down, and then pops back up with more pain then it was. Just so uncomfortable and makes me worry, cause my daddy just died in Sept with Lung Cancer, { squamous small cell) (Spelling?) and now I am so worried that something is going to happen to me since I do have such bad lungs to start with since birth.

Dr SS :

Sorry for your father's death. Lung cancer is more common in the elderly people. It is rare below 45 years. You should get scared.

Dr SS :

Sorry you should not get scared.

Customer:

Ok I will try not too, but there is something wrong, whether it is big or small, I just want to know why its swelling up. If I could just know why then I can try to prevent doing some things.

Customer:

and thank you so much i miss him dearly.

Customer:
Dr SS :

You are always welcome to JA. Yes, you should get the tests to know the cause precisely. Warm Regards.

Customer:

the reason I am so addiment on wanting to know what it is, is because my husband and I are trying to have our first child and I want to make sure I am in tip top shape to prevent a miscarriage because of my health.

\

Customer:

not pregnant yet, but trying

Dr SS :

It would not cause difficulty in getting pregnant or cause miscarriage. But as I said, you need to be certain about the cause by taking detailed examination & tests.

Customer:

Ok thanks for your imput.

Customer:

I will take what you have said into concideration and talk to my DR this afternoon, Wish me luck!!

Dr SS :

Wish your healthy life.

Dr SS :

Good luck.

Customer:

Thanks Bye for now.

Dr SS :

Bye.

Customer:
Dr SS :

Please leave a positive feedback. Best wishes.

Customer: