Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

There is significant thickening around the base of my penis.

There is significant thickening around the base of my penis. Might this cause ED and would surgery fix it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

How long the symptoms are there? Do you feel ED symptoms? Is there any curve in the penis on erection? Is there any other symptom? Was any test done? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Probably 10 years; my urologist commented about the thickening when he was doing my vasectomy. I've enjoyed good general health, am not overweight and there have been no significant illnesses. I don't think there is any curve, but the erection is so weak it is hard to know. There are no other symptoms.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

The thickening of the penis can be due to a condition called Peyronie's disease. The cause of the disease is not known. There is development of fibrous tissue in the penis which makes the feeling of thickening. Sometimes it improves itself with out any treatment. You should contact urologist again for evaluation when it is persisting along with erection problem. Different surgical approach is taken. Of them penile implant can help with erection problem.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you. The thickening is not of the penis, it is as though the blood supply causes thickening not of the penis, but the very base where the penis starts on the lower abdomen; a sort of swelling. Viagra used to work, but I haven't used it for years.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
It can affect the base of the penis too. Other ED treatments can be tried. There are penile injections or suppositories of alprostadil, combination injection of either 2 or 3 of alprostadil, papaverine and phentolamine etc.