Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am a 67 year old femail, still working full time and have

I am a 67 year old femail, still working full time and have issues with memory.
I'm on several pills, citalipram, exforge, pravastatin, NitrofurMac, Triam/gctz, and Lorazepam as needed. This is causing great anziety and my physician wants me to take the lorazepam twice a day and that also cause great concern as I don't want to become dependent on them. Help!

I've read that there are several reasons for this and one in particular is mold, which is present where I work, but they state that it's not the bad mold and haven't done anything about it.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

There are many causes for anxiety. Taking the lorazepam twice a day under your doctors careful watch should be OK. Is there a risk of becoming dependent on it? With this class of medicines there is a risk, but by being closely monitored by your doctor I feel that you will get a positive benefit with minimal risk.

RickMD :

As to the mold in your work place, I am glad to hear that it was evaluated and found NOT to be the bad kind. Mold has been around for as long, actually longer, then there have been humans on the planet and, as you know, the vast majority of molds don't cause any issues at all. I think you will be just fine.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

RickMD :

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

It was a pleasure to help. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. Have a great day.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But what about the memory issue
That is an excellent question. It is possible that you anxiety and some of your medicines are contributing to your mild decrease in memory. The good news? Once things calm down I think you will find that your memory improves also.

Other things that you can do to help with your memory is "exercise" your mind by doing activities such as crossword puzzles or similar activities, interacting with friends and associates more, reading, etc.

Here is a good webpage that gives ideas on things to do that may help:

http://www.improvememory.org/

Does this help?

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to ask me.

It's safe for you to press the accept/positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
Second opinion from JA

I would like to answer you actual questions and I have respectful disagreement with the above answer.

In fact anxiety disorder is properly treated with an SSRI medication and if citalopram is not doing the job it needs to be changed.

Although lorazapam is OK for acute use..when needed only, you are correct to be concerned...steady use is associated WITH cognitive dysfunction..with as little as 6 weeks of use. Recent major reviews and a recent definitive prospective study have concluded that premature death is associated with the use of these drugs and a large contributor, for unknown reasons, is cancer.

This of course you need to discuss with your doctor.

In addition.
You need a neurological workup to make sure that you do not have another problem, such as B12 deficiency, which needs early intervention, a neurological exam, maybe MRI, assessment for depression, etc.

As to mold. It is not correct that it is just ok mold and bad mold.
There is the issue of allergy, and individual sensitivity, and we do not know how everyone is affected by each mold. Mold health effects study is in its infancy.

Allergy testing is indicated in some cases.
Avoiding overgrowth of mold is always a good idea. Prudent.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......