Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I went for HIV test in the same hospital last week. Below is

Customer Question

I went for HIV test in the same hospital last week. Below is the different results:
Determine test- Positive
Uni-gold test- Negative
Elisa test- Negative.

What do you think about this result?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer,

Why were these tests done? Please give a detailed history.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually, I had an unprotected sex 3months ago... And this is my first time of doing the test, though I have no symptoms only that I have been noticing some a body itching lately.. that was why i went for the test. I am just too scared right now.
Thanks
Dear customer,

I am going to opt out of this question and allow other experts to answer your query.

Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 years ago.
As you have already learned, the determine test, which is a rapid test, if positive requires confirmation. Confirmation of a positive Unigold test is also required. In your case, however, this test was negative.

The ELISA test, when negative (as is the case with you) usually does NOT require confirmation as the chance of an incorrect result, especially at 3 months post exposure, is unlikely.

Given what you have posted, it is unlikely that you are infected wtih HIV. If you are still concerned, you can have a PCR test, which looks for the actual RNA of the HIV virus or HIV DNA that forms after white blood cells have been infected.

Usually testing is often done at 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months after exposure to learn if a person is infected with HIV.

Here is a good site that discusses HIV testing:
http://www.avert.org/testing.htm

Does this makes sense to you?

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks alot Dr.
But I am still concerned about this body itching thing.. Could be as a result of how i felt when i got the determine test (positive).... I really dont understand this.
Jo
I do not believe that your itching is from HIV or any other STD.

Since there are a bazillion reasons for itching I would first try OTC meds such as benadryl or allergy meds like clariton-D. If it still persists then a visit to your primary care MD might be in order.

Does this make sense to you?