Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My son needs surgery on his vocal chord. However, his skull

My son needs surgery on his vocal chord. However, his skull and 9 vertibrae are fused. His surgeon said she couldn't do the surgery because he couldnt bend his neck for the surgery. We are trying to figure out what to do.

She tried going through his nose and then didn't perform the surgery after putting him under.

Then, no surgery, and the clinic is still charging the full price of the surgery. They said the next surgery would be free!???

We are very confused and concern to let this doctor to anything to our son.

Please give me some advice.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

is your son 60 years old?

RickMD :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

No,

Customer:

My son is 27. Has had spinal surgery at 9 and is fused from his skull and 9 vertebre down. he has leisons on his vocal chords and the surgeon has done nothing so far. However, she was supposed to do surgery last week and put him under but did not complete the operation.

RickMD :

I can fully understand your not wanting to take the surgeon up on "it's free next time I try to do it" offer......if she is uncomfortable doing the surgery given the anatomical limitations of your son's ability to be positioned then, in my opinion a portion of the charges (not all) should be refunded and you should seek out care somewhere else.

RickMD :

Now. Where to go for your son's surgery......

RickMD :

Have you given any consideration to consulting with an ENT Professor at a large University Teaching hospital? Places like that are used to dealing with the most difficult and most unusual of medical cases and I would think that they would be able to safely do any required surgery your son may require on his vocal cords.

RickMD :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

When talking to the business manager about the failed operation, she said that they were going to charge the full amount, $5400, even though the surgery wasn't performed. My son is without health insurance and in between jobs after having to quit his band. He is impatient, he thinks if he waits to get a good job with medical benefits, he will hurt his vocal chords and it is going to get worse. We want to do the right thing with the right doctor, but it seems to us that this doctor is not completely sure about how to help Brett.

RickMD :

I agree. It does seem like this surgeon is not comfortable with her plan for your son. As to the dealings with the business office you should explain that the surgery was not completed, that you are being charged a private pay and not the medicare or insurance rate and you would like to work with them toward a compromise. (decide what you are willing to pay before this discussion). If they are stubborn and continue to demand full payment request a copy of your son's complete medical record and an itemized accounting of all charges and make it clear that your next stop when you leave her office will be with an attorney. Now. I almost never tell people to get attorneys involved with it comes to doctors but in your case it just may get them to compromise on the charges.

RickMD :

Now. As to medical care for Brett. I think you should go to a large University Hospital for a consultation and possible surgery if needed.

RickMD :

Gather up copies of all of Bretts medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that he could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near your son.

If you could tell me what large city Brett lives near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Customer:

Do you have any recommendations for Los Angeles, Is there a medical center that may be good for him to approach.

RickMD :

Yes. There are a number of excellent institutions there. Let me get you some contact information.

Customer:

Thank you my e-mail is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX if you could also send the informatiion and your answers today to XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX I would appreciate any help.

RickMD :

Keck has one of the best ENT departments around:

RickMD :

http://www.keckhospitalofusc.org/

Customer:

KECK is what?

RickMD :

Sorry, emails are blocked by the system. I only got a bunch of X's

RickMD :

A large university medical center in LA

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX You have been very helpful. We will proceed with our next plan to help Brett.

RickMD :

you can print out our conversation or save it on a word processor program but our system is not connected to email. Sorry about that. We do that for privacy and security.

RickMD :

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
It was a pleasure to help. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. Have a great day.