Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi there,While I am seeing a doctor and I know that you

Customer Question

Hi there,

While I am seeing a doctor and I know that you can't diagnose over the internet, I am trying to gather as much information as I can and my doctor hasn't made himself very available.

I am developing a rash. I will send a picture.
Its not super itchy, accept when it first erupts. It is on both arms and my lower back. Is it something I should be concerned about? I already emailed my doctor about it, but he has a tendency to not reply.
Its a bad picture, but heres a picture

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/duckie_722/?action=view¤t=Stow-20120509-00581.jpg
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I am online and happy to assist you today.

I've reviewed the picture you posted and, you are correct, from just looking at the photo it is very difficult to say what could be causing that.

Can you tell me more about what is going on? Do you have any medical conditions or take any medicines? If your doctor has had a chance to look at the rash, what does she think?
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for the reply!

My doctor has not seen it yet. It appeared last night.

So far my symptoms include major fatigue, pain in the left upper portion of my abdomen that radiates into my shoulder, fever, chills, fullness and bloating in my stomach, sweating, shortness of breath, what I believe to be a painless, swollen lymph node in my groin, water retention in my legs and now a rash.

My doctor is going with a diagnosis of gastritis for now, but I am getting more testing done. Im in the process of scheduling a GI appointment.

I'm curious as to what your thoughts are. I'm worried about lymphoma. I'm only 20, and I'm a smoker if it makes a difference.
That is a very good thought, but I wouldn't rush to thinking that you have lymphoma. I agree with a GI evaluation and, unfortunately, you might have to show your rash to a dermatologist for a definitive diagnosis. I know it can be a hassle running to so many doctors but, nowadays, things are so sub-specialized....

That being said, you really should do your best to stop smoking, 'ya know ;-)

Does this make sense to you?

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Currently trying to quit :) I've cut back a lot.

There is something you might be able to help me with. I've asked the question twice on here, and got different answers. Would gastritis pain present with referred pain in the left shoulder? I'm concerned about an enlarged spleen, but no one has said anything to me.
Usually pain referred to the shoulder is due to irritation of the diaphragm, not gastritis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But would gastrtis irritate the diaphram? My pain is weird. Its intermitent, sharp and stabbing, and radiates into my shoulder. Its not really made worse by drinking coffee or soda or eating. But it also isn't really helped by omeprazole or bentyl (both of which I'm on)
You know, I don't think that it would....but I'm not a GI doc; that would be the person to ask about these unusual GI symptoms you are having....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I go in tomorrow so I will ask my doctor. Its not the GI doc so I don't know if I'll get my answer or not, I'm just afraid my spleen is enlarged. My doctor won't do a CT yet though. Do you know if you could detect an enlarged spleen using an endoscopy? Can you detect swollen lymph nodes with an endoscopy? Or would I need a CT....
You can detect an enlarged spleen and many areas of enlarged lymph nodes with a simple physical exam. Endoscopy would not really be modality to use to evaluate for a spleen or swollen lymph node issue.

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

I got my blood test results back. I was hoping you could help me interpret them.

WBC COUNT17.7 4.5-11.0K/uLH
RBC, AUTO4.36 4.0-5.30M/uL
HGB13.2 12.0-16.0GM/DL
HEMATOCRIT39.0 36.0-48.0%
MCV89.7 80.0-100.0fL
MCH30.4 26.0-34.0PG
MCHC33.9 32.0-36.0%
PLATELETS, AUTOMATED COUNT355 150-450K/uL
RDW, RBC12.7 11.5-15.5%
LYMPHOCYTES %10.2
21.8-41.6%L
MONOS %2.9 5.7-14.0%L
NEUTROPHILS %86.1 49.2-70.4%H
EOSINOPHILS %0.7 0.0-8.0%
BASOPHILS %0.1 0.0-1.5%
LYMPHOCYTES1.8 0.7-3.3
MONOCYTES0.5 0.2-0.9
GRANULOCYTES15.31.5-5.8 H
EOSINOPHILS0.10.0-0.7
BASOPHILS0.00.0-0.2

If you can help at all, let me know. Thanks!
I think I will refer you to one of the internal medicine experts and have them review your lab results with you, if you don't mind. I'll opt out on this part of your post (But I'm happy to help you on other issues :) if you don't mind.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
This lab shows a high white blood count, and specifically a high number of granulocytes, which is most often due to an infection, although it does not indicate the site of the infection. It can include an infection in or under the skin, but there are many other potential sites. Usually, it would require an appropriate evaluation to determine the site of the infection.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.