Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.

Will taking ciprofloxacin 500 mg help a sinus infection and

Will taking ciprofloxacin 500 mg help a sinus infection and bronchitis?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer,

What are your symptoms, and since when do you have them? Have you been prescribed this medication? What was your doctor's advice?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

coughing, feels like it is in bronchial area, yellow mucus, sinus pressure and lots of mucus. Sore throat, clogged nose, hard time sleeping.Very thirsty. I had a cold 3 days ago and it is getting worse. I was prescribed the medication for something else, dental surgery. I have not seen a doctor for this.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have fever?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I do not.
Dear customer,

Both acute bronchitis and acute sinusitis are likely to be caused by viral infections in patients without any underlying lung disease. Acute bronchitis is considered and differentiated from from upper respiratory infections when cough persists for more than five days. Presence of fever may be seen in when there is influenza or pneumonia. Hence if there is fever then further diagnostic testing is required to diagnose pneumonia, which is usually treated with antibiotics. Cough in patients with acute bronchitis usually lasts from 10 to 20 days, and in 75% of patients disappears by day 14. Even purulent yellow colored sputum does not signify bacterial infection.
Hence antibiotics are not recommended, if there is no fever, and treatment is basically with tylenol and benadryl. Also you can consider local and oral adrenergic agents such as pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine which may temporarily relieve the nasal congestion. Also keeping yourself hydrated is recommended. This is a self limited condition and is expected to resolve withing ten days.
Also regarding your original question, ciprofloxacin is not the recommended treatment for this condition and if your doctor decides to treat this with antibiotics this will be based on the results of investigations but generally amoxicillin is the preferred antibiotic.

Take care.