Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

Can gastritis or acid cause your throat to have a cold sensation?

Can gastritis or acid cause your throat to have a cold sensation? I have had numbness for the past four months in my throat and mouth and the doctor says it is caused by anxiety. Now my throat has a cold sensation in it. I am almost 5months pregnant. Could acid be causing this problem?
Hi, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and i am an ENT doctor. I am here to help you today. I can help you with all these throat issues since its my specialty. Before i answer, i just need few details. Do you experience sore throat also? Do you feel this more when you wake up in the morning? Do you feel any taste? Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is sore occasionally, but not much lately. I really don't have a taste in my mouth, just the cold feeling. I was on zantac tor gastritis before I was pregnant and stopped taking it when I found out I was pregnant. I do notice it a little bit more when I wake up, but it lasts all day.
Thanks for your input. Its not usual to have cold feeling with acid reflux, however secondary to acid reflux, one can feel the numbness. This numbness feeling can be seen in patients who have inflammation in the mouth secondary to reflux. Cold feeling in mouth doesn't signify anything serious at all and the if the numbness in mouth is a generalized feeling, then that is not a cause for concern. One can feel numbness in tumors but that numbness is seen at end stages in head and head tumors when tumor has invaded the nerves. Practically speaking that tumor should have given lot of other symptoms before giving numbness. So i assure you that your doctor is right, it can either be reflux or nothing other than anxiety. I am ENT in a medical university and if you have any ENT question, you can just add my name before the question and i will be there to help you. You can come back on this page also to ask more. Please just relax and don't stress yourself for anything. I wish you good luck for your smooth pregnancy. Please remember to rate my answer. Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would tums be a safe medication to take for the acid?
Thanks for your input. Yes they are safe in pregnancy. Moreover you should try to reduce the stress, its one of the most common aggravating factor for increasing the acid production. I wish you good luck for all. Regards
HI Carrie, how are you feeling now?