Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD

I have had a chronic cough for past 6 weeks with a lot of clear

I have had a chronic cough for past 6 weeks with a lot of clear salty nasal mucus in my throat. It is especially bad at night when I lay down and have severe fits of coughing,
trying to clear mucus. Have tried a puffer, nasal spray, gargling but nothing seems to help. I had similar problem 6 months ago and had medication and medical xrays which indicated I'm ok apart from ethmoid sinusitus. Should I go back to the specialist ?
Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

I'm sorry to hear about this, do you have any medical conditions or take any medication?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Other than this wretched cough and sinus problem I am quite healthy.

The only medication I am on is thyroxine for low thyroid. Blood pressure ok, fairly

high cholestral (have had for past 20yrs) but have never taken medication and

I also eat a healthy diet, fish, salads, fruit with a couple of glasses of red most

evenings - no junk food

Okay, these symptoms seem like you may be suffering from acid reflux, which may be why the symptoms are worse when laying down. I would suggest you ask your doctor about starting a proton pump inhibitor like prilosec for a period of 10-14 days to treat this
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm on the last couple of tablets of Ozmep for reflux and I don't see either

lots of tablets (nexium) earlier this year, have shown any real improvement.

I've had a cough since last November with only a short respite a few weeks

end Feb and March. My immune system may be low as I went overseas for

1 week end of March and came back with a tickly cough.

If those don't work, it may be a sign of sinus congestion, which may benefit from trying an allergy medication like loratidine.Allergies cause postnasal drip which is the most common cause of a cough. Severe cases of allergies may require prednisone. If zyrtec does not help and you require prednisone, I think it would be wise to see an ear , nose an throat doctor for sinus endoscopy, where he will be able to pass a camera into your nose in the office ans see your sinus cavity in real time
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I forgot to mention the ENT specialist I saw in December also prescribed

prednisone and I did have the camera treatment and he prescribed what I have

already mentioned plus I had head xrays which picked up the ethmoid sinusitis.

I see, then you may need to return to the ENT and also get a CT scan , if you have ethmoid sinusitis again, you may require prednisone and antibiotics or a prolonged course of allergy medication. You may also have developed polyps since then causing an obstruction