Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

What are some of the effects/symptoms of mercury (fillings

Customer Question

What are some of the effects/symptoms of mercury (fillings in teeth )intolerances in the body?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
HOw many fillings
And what symptoms do you have
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 years ago.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

The mercury used in "old" fillings DOES NOT come of them; it is chemically bound in the metal. There is no need to take them out. Anyone who tells you different is lying to you and trying to steal your money.

Some DDS suggest blood test for "mercury" issues that you might have. This is a total and complete scam! Please do not fall for it.

Here is information on heavy metal scams:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/urine_toxic.html

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/mercury.html

You should report any dentist that even discusses this "treatment" with you to the local branch of the ADA and the State Dental Board.

Does this make sense to you?

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. My dentist never told me that. I've just read so much about mercury. I have had hives for 8 yrs. and was on heavy doses of meds- antihistamines, prednisone, etc. They worked for 2 yrs., but eventually they quit working and they're back with intensity and frequency. I'm on a special diet now, but I get hives approx. every 3 days. And my gums and teeth are tender and sore now for about one month. So I was wondering if it could be mercury or maybe composites. I have both in my mouth. Do you have any ideas?
I can tell you, without a doubt, it is not the mercury in your fillings nor is it the composites. The metals are chemically bound in these things and do not cause a problem.

There are so many causes of hives that, at this point, an allergist who can do a new and compete workup is your best bet to find a solution.

Sometimes chemotherapeutic agents are used, especially if steroid have stopped being helpful. Usually this type of treatment is done in conjunction with an oncologist as they are most comfortable using these medicines.