Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Does carbocaine need to have its ph altered to prevent stinging

Does carbocaine need to have its ph altered to prevent stinging on injection? Also for a toe block with 1% Carbocaine plain, what is the duration of the block?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 years ago.
It is not necessary to change the pH of carbocaine for it to work. That being said, adding a bit of bicarbonate does help with the stinging....although, even without this the stinging only lasts a second with the first injection. Any followup injections, if needed, do not sting at all as the area is already pretty numb.

Carbocaine has a rapid onset of action (two to three minutes) and, when compared to other local anesthetics in this class, a moderate duration of effect, lasting anywhere from 90 minutes to two hours.

Does this make sense to you?

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.