Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Since our last communication. My granddaughter was diagnosed

Since our last communication. My granddaughter was diagnosed with pseudoseizures at St Vincents Hospital in Billings Montana. Prescribed no medications and counseling was recommended. Her mother has had her to three different Drs. since and they have all had different diagnois. One being seizures due to migraines and was prescribed Topamax. Another Dr said it was due to muscle spasms in the back due to a fall off of a horse some 6 months ago and was given exercises to do. She is still experiencing seizures and has not had counseling. She did say that she was not having any more headaches or migraines but the Dr increased her dosage of Topamax. I can not find on the internet where seizures are related to migraines or that Topamax is an anti seizure medication. Can you give me any answers? She still has not had any counseling and my last conversation with her as of yesterday she said she was really stressed.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Topomax is used in the treatment of some seizure disorders, in bipolar disorder and other conditions.

Since your daughter was diagnosed as having "pseudoseizures" at the hospital in Billings I think that what the doctors are trying to tell you, in a nice way, is that your granddaughter needs psychiatric help.

Does this make sense to you?

I noticed that on your last post, event though you got a good answer from the expert that you closed the question without accepting and, as such, the expert was not compensated for assisting you....

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was not aware I needed to respond in order for you to get compensated. This is not my daughter but my granddaughter who lives in Wy and I am in CA. You mentioned that Topamax is used for bipolar and other conditions? What are the other conditions? I also asked if migraines are related to seizures? Am I suppose to accept answer now or wait for your response/
Here is a web page that reviews the many uses of Topomax:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topiramate

Migraines almost never cause seizures. I've never had a patient in whom migraines have caused a seizure, nor have I ever heard of this occurring.

It's safe for you to press the accept/positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

I wish the very best for your granddaughter.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC