DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Are there doctors that specialize in the lymphatic system? If so, what are they called?

Are there doctors that specialize in the lymphatic system? If so, what are they called? For nearly 3 years, my wife (37 years) has had a hard time walking. We've been to many neurologists, including a few that specialize in movement disorders . . . no concrete answers. Recently, someone suggested her symptoms sounded like a problem with the circulation of her lymph fluids. He told her to jump on a mini trampoline for 2 minutes to get the fluids "pumping". She did so, got off the trampoline, and then walked perfectly . . . but it lasted only for about a week. After that, jumping did not help. Any thoughts?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Does she have swelling in the legs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, and painful on occasion, but not all the time. She's complained about having "big" legs, they appear as if retaining water, but it's been like that a long time.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Ok
She wants to see a vascular specialist...this is often a surgeon..but they have an entire program to treat this..involving specialized massage, pressure garments, pressure devices, etc....or see first a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor for these treatments..if they all fail and this is lymph, surgery can be considered.

The PM&R doctor is an MD...physical medicine.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and EXCELLENT FEEDBACK most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does it appear to be lymphatic system, as opposed to neuorological? Any thoughts on why the mini trampoline worked for a week, but then didn't help any more.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Neurologists have not found anything
Lymph edema is not curable
And any single therapy will tend to stop working, that is why a program is needed.

This is all supportive of lymph edema.