Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I have severe back pain between my shoulder blades and lower

I have severe back pain between my shoulder blades and lower back, painful enough to take my breath away, I cannot walk unaided. I have taken voltarol, this has not relieved the pain at all. I have also taken paracetamol - this has not helped either. I have not fallen or injured myself to cause the pain. Can you recommend anything else?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

How long the symptoms are there? How often does it happen? Is there any other symptom? Was any test done? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has been 12 hours since it started, it happened a few months ago - not quite as bad - I had to take 4 days off work, no tests have been carried out. No significant illness in the past - I have not visted a doctor for 20 years or so.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

There can be a few causes for the pain. It can be due to musculoskeletal causes. There can be a spine problem like arthritis, disc disease, pinched nerve or muscle spasm. Other causes can be a referred pain from heart like angina or a reflux, lung infection or pleurisy etc. When it is severe & pain medicines are not helping, I would advise to get an examination by doctor. He can take a few tests like X ray, EKG, scan , blood tests etc. In addition to pain medicines , you can apply warm moist compress at home. This can help to relax the muscle.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.