TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
13956133

I have about 7 little bumps in the corner of my mouth that

Customer Question

I have about 7 little bumps in the corner of my mouth that are itchy.
Category: Medical
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 2 years ago.

Have you had this before?

Are they blisters/ filled with fluid, or do they look more like filled with pus?

How old are you? Any other medical problems?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
18. no. they look like little white blisters. and it seems to get worse
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have had coldsores in the past. but this seems different

That was my initial suspicion - that they are herpes sores.

If you can post a picture here, I can probably give you a better idea.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i post a picture?

There used to be an icon here in the tool bar.

You can email to

support@justanswer.com

Also include the IRL of this post- so the moderator knows where to attach it, or to send to me, and when they attach it I will be able to review it.

Thanks.

TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience: 17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
/Users/srothman100/Desktop/Photo on 5-6-12 at 3.58 PM.jpg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is the IRL of the post?

I meant the URL

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/6mtxu-little-bumps-corner-mouth.html

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i will send the photo to the email you gave me and attach the url

OK great.

I will get back to you when I see it

(No need for you to press accept again.. In fact you could have waited until I see the pic)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I sent the photo. Did you get it?

It may take a little time for the moderator to see and post.

I will get back to you as soon as I see it.

So sorry for the delay- I now see the pic as it was sent to me from the moderator.

I have to say it looks pretty suspicious for oral herpes lesions.HSV is the virus that causes "cold sores". Generally lesions go away within a few days. Taking an oral antiviral medicine ( Zovirax or valtrex) may speed recovery by about 1 day- but does not have a huge impact.

And of course it can recur- sometimes with precipitating events like UV exposure, or stress, or a weakening of the immune system, and sometimes for no reason at all..

Generally once you are infected with the HSV virus, it is always there- although it goes into a dormant phase between outbreaks.

If you do have frequent outbreaks it may be reasonable to talk to your doctor about taking an antiviral medication prophylactically.

While I say this based on the appearance, if you wanted to be absolutely sure, your doctor could do a viral and bacterial culture for confirmation.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.