Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

Pain behind my ear and neck

Customer Question

hi i have neck pain i have pain behind my ear and in my shoulder it goes down my arm sometimes i feel dizzy and even sick it feels like my head is to heavy for my head i have had this for years my doctor just looks at me and think oh its her again i feel like im going mad no one seems to no what is wrong with me i have had acupuntire and pysio but it makes it worse! since this has begun i have started getting anxiety attacks i dont like leaving the house and find it very hard to get to work incase i feel funny i just have no life anymore pls help

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Is the pain behind the ear and the neck present all the time or happens only in episodes?

Do you also experience headache with these symptoms as well?

You mentioned that you have anxiety attacks, can you please let me know what you experience when you do have these anxiety attacks?

Customer :

its only in episodes i sometimes get headaches and my vision goes as well. when i get anxiety attacks i feel faint my hands sweat and my mouth goes dry my chest goes tight and i feel like im sinking my doctor gave me citalapram but the made me feel so ill.

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 years ago.

If the pain occurs along with severe anxiety and /or panic attacks,it is probably secondary to the stress and anxiety.

This is especially so since your doctor/PCP does not find any problem either on examination or on investigations.

The dizziness,neck pain,headache and a sinking sensation along with palpitations and shortness of breath usually occur during severe anxiety or panic attacks.

If you do not respond to SSRIs like Citalopram,you probably need to be seen by a Psychiatrist who can take a detailed history and guide you further.

You may need counselling,along with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy(CBT).Drugs like antidepressants(Tricyclic Antidepressants) and SSRIs(like Venlafaxine,Duoloxetine) are useful for treating Generalise Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks.Regular exercise,a healthy diet,reducing stress by relaxing with family and friends,listening to music/going for long ambling walks will help.

You can discuss this with your doctor who can guide you further.If you are not responding to one SSRI like Citalopram,you may give a trial to other SSRIs/SNRIs.Drugs to reduce anxiety like Lorazepam/Clonazepam may help till the full effect of the SSRIs/TCAs is seen.

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there any antideprssant can take that dont have bad side affects citalapram made me feel so ill
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 years ago.
Instead of citalopram you can request your doctor to prescribe escitalopram which can be more effective in some patients and more tolerable.
Citalopram is one of the best tolerated SSRIs along with Flouxetine(Prozac) and Sertaline.Addition of antianxiety drugs like Buspirone/Buprinion may help ease the sexual side effects seen with Citalopram.Drugs like the SNRIs Venlafaxine(Effexor) or Desvenlafaxine(Pristiq) may be given a trial if Citalopram is causing a problem.The selectivity of the SSRIs is a plus point over the older TCAs.Your doctor may use other SSRIs which may not be as bad for you as the drug you are taking.