Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

My left knee is swollen and puffy on both sides for no reason.

My left knee is swollen and puffy on both sides for no reason. I did not injure it. There is no pain, discloloration, heat. There is a very slight stiffness. Could this be related to anything to do with blood clots? I have no history of this or no family history.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Greetings,

How long the symptoms are there? Is there any other symptom? Is there any swelling in the front & back of knee as well? Can you bend it? How is leg? Was any test done? Is there any significant past illness?

Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The symptoms have been there between 24 and 48 hrs. There are no other symptoms. No swelling in the front nor back of the knee. I can bend it. The rest of the leg is normal. No tests have been done. I noticed it for the first time on Friday night, 5-4-12. I've had no significant past illness. I started blood pressure medicine 2 months ago and there have been no side effects. That is the only health related event I can think of that has occurred in a very long time.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

Swelling of the sides can be due to collection of fluid. This can occur in the joint or in a bursa. The swelling at the sides does not sound like clot in the vein. Clot in the vein usually causes swelling at the back of the knee. Still, I would advise to get an examination by doctor. A few investigations like X ray/ scan, blood tests can be necessary.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.