Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

My left knee is swollen and puffy on both sides for no reason.

My left knee is swollen and puffy on both sides for no reason. I did not injure it. There is no pain, discloloration, heat. There is a very slight stiffness. Could this be related to anything to do with blood clots? I have no history of this or no family history.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 2 years ago.
Greetings,

How long the symptoms are there? Is there any other symptom? Is there any swelling in the front & back of knee as well? Can you bend it? How is leg? Was any test done? Is there any significant past illness?

Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The symptoms have been there between 24 and 48 hrs. There are no other symptoms. No swelling in the front nor back of the knee. I can bend it. The rest of the leg is normal. No tests have been done. I noticed it for the first time on Friday night, 5-4-12. I've had no significant past illness. I started blood pressure medicine 2 months ago and there have been no side effects. That is the only health related event I can think of that has occurred in a very long time.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

Swelling of the sides can be due to collection of fluid. This can occur in the joint or in a bursa. The swelling at the sides does not sound like clot in the vein. Clot in the vein usually causes swelling at the back of the knee. Still, I would advise to get an examination by doctor. A few investigations like X ray/ scan, blood tests can be necessary.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience: 25 years of clinical experience