Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

what does it mean if my WBC is 2100

what does it mean if my WBC is 2100
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Is this the first time your WBC has been low?
Do you have any chronic health problems?
Do you take any medications?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had tooth extractions last week and took erythromycin 500mg for 8 days 1 every eight hours. I also take cotenedone 100/25 and norvasc 5mg for high blood pressure every day. As far as I know it is the first time my last blood test was 3 years ago and nothing unusual.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

You have what we call leukopenia, which basically means a low white blood cell count.
This can happen for many reasons...
When it is a first time blood test result, the first thing to do typically is repeat it to confirm that it is truly low as well as do a breakdown (called a differential) to see which white blood cells are low (ie lymphocytes, neutrophils).

As mentioned, many things can cause a low white cell count, some serious and some not serious.
Medications are one--rarely one component of your blood pressure medication (called chlorthalidone) can cause leukopenia.
Autoimmune diseases, an overactive thyroid, severe infections are some other causes.
More worrisome would be a bone marrow issue such as leukemia.

Your doctor, as I mentioned, may first just repeat the test. If it is still low, he/she may refer you to a blood specialist called a hematologist for evaluation as to the cause.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby