Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I have hot and cold sweats all through the day and night. I

I have hot and cold sweats all through the day and night. I assumed it is the menopause but haven't mestruated for 18 months can it still be the cause. I get back pain alot on my left flank. The sweats are awful. i am 47 and startded with night time sweats 5 years ago, then they stopped and now this. would appreciate your feedback. I will not go on HRT as my mum had HRT related breast cancer and i have had previous DVTs , but any advise would be great. Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

How long the symptoms of back pain and sweating are there? How is urine? Is there any other symptom? Are you over weight? When did you consult doctor last? Did you have any tests recently? Is there any other significant past illness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The last time I got checked out was over 12 months, i have a real phobia with going to dr or hospital. Urine is strong but ok, have had kidney infections in the past, a really nasty one 3 years ago. Had womb checked 18 months ago, nothing nasty found apart from some fibroids but then mt monthly bleeding stopped. I am a bit overweight. Have rheumatoid Arthritis, my fingers and toes are always so hot and uncomfortable in the mornings and my knees and shoulders sometimes hurt, but I am coping with that just fine, its only mild. The only other symptoms are red face well across my nose and cheeks, there all the time even when i am cold.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

The sweating can be from different factors. In kidney infection there can be sweating. As you have back pain and previous history of kidney infection it should be checked first. Stress & anxiety can be a factor. The other factors are hormonal abnormalities as in menopause, high thyroid hormone levels, medicines, low blood glucose, tumors, autonomic nerve disorders etc. In some cases no cause can be found too. An examination by doctor needs to be taken. The treatment will depend on the precise cause. You should have an examination by your doctor & if necessary the doctor can do some tests like urine test, thyroid level, FSH, LH, Estrogen, glucose etc.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.