Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My daughter took between 5-10 pills of a pain reliever with

Customer Question

My daughter took between 5-10 pills of a pain reliever with 250 mg of Acetaminophen, 250 mg of aspirin, and 65 mg of caffiene. She is 15 and weighs 130 pounds. Has she hurt herself? She has thrown up three times. The first time was about 7 hours after she took the pills.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 years ago.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
The major issue will be with the acetaminophen.

Was this a suicide attempt in your mind?
The toxic dose varies per person but is thought to be between 5 and 15 grams. Tylenol destroys the liver. From what you have said your daughter has taken less then 3 grams. As such she should be OK.

That being said she should be seen by a doctor right away. If you can't get into her primary care MD then take her to the emergency room now.

I would also explore in depth her reasons for taking such a large dose of these pills.

As a parent myself I can understand what you are going through right now....

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you by pressing the accept button or smiley face. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Here is a good webpage that discusses the effects of tylenol:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was not a suicide attempt, but she wanted to punish us. She is in weekly therapy and seeing a psych. Why does she need to go to the doctor?
As you can see by the webpage tylenol is deadly....and it is slow to act. If she took more then you think there is a very limited window for her to be treated with NAC to counter act the tylenol. Without treatment, she will loose her liver and without a new liver she will die.

If she were my daughter I'd take her to the ER for consideration of NAC treatment. The consequences of delay are not something I would want to think about.....

Does this make sense?
I was just thinking about your daughter and wondering how she is doing.