Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have a nephrostomy tube and a urostomy pouch. urostomy does

I have a nephrostomy tube and a urostomy pouch. urostomy does not have much output. neprostpmy tue because of blockage in urostomy. Recently i had an experience, went o Er for gastritis given what they call a cocktail which contained donnatel and other drugs I am not aware of.Went homa and later in day I noticed uropstomy pouch felt thee was some liquid th re, went to empty there was red blood at fisrt and them darker blood. Icalled my urologist and theysaid just ot stay hydrated. I am still wandering what caused the blood and whee did it come from. All that day I had blood and it kept dimishing till only little clear came out like it generally does. I am confused about blood and concerned what caused this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello
It would have hand nothing to do with the GI cocktail that I can see.
Has the blood stopped completely now.?
what was your original condition that led to all of this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the blood has stopped completely now. Did it come from my intestines ans had been there or thee was a brokel blood vessel in intestine? My original condition was I had had a procedure done on Jan 27th as a regular change of tube. have had the urostomy since 1984. Nephrostomy 2010. Never had this happen before except once and that was when I first got the tube.
No the blood would come from the kidney or the ureter.
Sot there could have been a stone, infection or other reason
Or simply inflammation and irritation.
Bleeding in the intestine would cause red or black stool.
I would simply follow up with your nephrologist in person for exam...and maybe an MRI or ultrasound scan.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i faild to advise I only have one kidney. so ureter is connected to peice of int estine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i faild to advise I only have one kidney. so ureter is connected to peice of int estine. Does this have any more bearing on your answer/ urostomy and neprstomy both go to the one kidney
No I thing that there would not be blood flow from the intestine
However, it would be very simple for your doctors to do an MRI of the abdomen which is a superior way of imaging....suggest that to them.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc