Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

What causes sharp stabbing pains in big toe?

What causes short sharp stabbing pains in my big toe. It has been happening for a while now but appears to be increasing in strength.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

Do you have any pain in other area or joints? Is there any redness or swelling of the toe? How long the symptoms are there? Are there any other symptoms? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have lymphoedema in this leg. There is no extra redness or swelling of the toe. It has been happening for approximately a month now but doesn't always happen.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

The short sharp stabbing pain in the toe can be due to nerve irritation.

As you have lymphedema at the same leg it can cause pressure on the nerve producing such symptoms.

The other possibilities are arthritis or gout. If it too much, you can try with motrin or tynelol. Otherwise check it with doctor for an examination to know the precise cause.